One of the world’s most significant competitions for sustainable design opened for entries on February 6, 2023.
The Holcim Awards, organized by the Holcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction, is the world’s most recognized competition for sustainable design, showcasing the potential of sustainable design and construction.
The Awards recognizes and promotes projects combining sustainable design and construction with architectural excellence.
The competition is conducted in five geographic regions: Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, Middle East Africa, and North America.
Independent expert juries evaluate the submissions and nominate the winners.
A total of USD 1 million in prize money (USD 200,000 per region) will be shared between winners of a Holcim Awards Gold, Silver, Bronze prize, and Acknowledgement prizes in each region.
Gold, Silver, and Bronze winners from all regions will be invited to the prize announcement at the Venice Biennale of Architecture 2023.
- Competition opens: February 6, 2023
- Registration deadline: March 30 (14:00hrs UTC)
- Jury evaluation: May/July 2023
- Nominee verification: August/September 2023
- Winners announced: November 18, 2023
- The project must not have started construction before January 1, 2022.
- Projects may be at the following stages: detailed design, complete design, under construction, and completed construction.
- Projects must be client-supported– commissioned by a client for real-world execution. The project submission must include the contact details of the client, who may be contacted for due diligence purposes if the project is nominated for a prize by the jury.
How to Enter
- Entry is free.
- The online entry form will be available from February 6, 2023.
- Entry content includes a project summary, details on the project author/team, images, and information on the sustainability data points that are most relevant to the project.
- Submissions must be in English.
- No limit to the number of entries an individual/team may submit.
- Find out more and register your interest here https://bit.ly/3Cyo1qY
This year’s competition reflects a redefined mission of the Foundation to accelerate the global movement for sustainable construction and to stimulate the transfer of knowledge across the community.
Holcim Awards will be held bi-annually starting in 2023, with results announced in the same calendar year. Entries are evaluated using the Foundation’s renewed goals for sustainable construction (Uplifting places, a Healthy planet, Viable economics, and Thriving communities.
Holcim recognizes that building a sustainable future requires architects, designers, construction leaders, and other professionals to develop the ability to weigh impacts and propose solutions that are strictly consistent with the local context in which they operate while considering global commonalities.
Creative skills, innovation, systems thinking, and social purpose are all in high demand. Learn more here: